“Sometimes the memory of happiness cannot stay true because it ended unhappily.”
– Bernhard Schlink
Not every friendship is helpful and worthwhile … and sometime we need to ask ourselves the following:
1. What am I getting from the relationship? Is this person there for me when I need them most? Do they build me up, and bring out the best in me?
2. Is this friendship draining, or is it mainly negative? Do I feel I’m just being used? Are things always about them?
3. Can I be genuine and real – and just myself – with this person? Or are they likely to react if I share my honest thoughts?
4. Do they care about my feelings, my views and my opinions? Or do they treat me like an object, whose feelings never count?
5. Am I putting with things because it’s started to feel normal? Am I scared that no-one else would really want to be my friend?
“I have a feeling only for shadows.”
– Odilon Redon
“I recognized the silences as signs. We had been through this before. Though we didn’t speak about it, I slowly prepared myself for the changes that would surely come.”
– Patti Smith